by Karin Calloway
Some people keep a stash of cash for emergencies. I keep a stash of pantry and refrigerator staples for unexpected guests. With a can or two of clams in my pantry, and some cream cheese, mayo and sour cream in my fridge, I can whip up an "emergency" hors d’oeuvre in no time.
My favorite Hot Clam Dip comes together in a snap, and is delicious spread over crackers or served with pita, bagel or even rippled potato chips for dipping. The recipe gets a kick from some prepared horseradish, fresh garlic, Worcestershire and a dash or hot pepper sauce. Keep the ingredients on hand, because spur-of-the-moment entertaining is always the most fun!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stir together all ingredients except clams until well blended. Fold in clams and pour into a baking dish. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until bubbly. Serve with crackers or chips.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1 10.5-ounce can minced clams, drained
- Crackers, pita chips, bagel chips or rippled potato chips
Makes 12 hors d’oeuvre servings.