Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add leeks and onions and sauté until tender and translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add broth, potatoes, and sachet. Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are starting to fall apart, about 25 minutes. Remove and discard sachet.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 leeks, white parts only, finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 spice sachet, including 2 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half, chilled
- Salt to taste
- Pepper, ground white, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, thinly sliced
Purée the soup and return it to the pot. Place pot in an ice bath and stir occasionally until cool, 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Transfer to the refrigerator for another 2-3 hours to chill.
Just before serving, stir half-and-half and 1 teaspoon salt into soup. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve in chilled bowls, garnished with the chives.
Yield: 8 servings
Related Recipe Categories
Soups and Salads