by Karin Calloway
Bean salads are popular summer cookout fare, and this Spanish-inspired Chickpea Salad is an alternative to the usual tangy, sweet bean salad. The salad is usually served in Spain as one of an assortment of tapas – small small portions of appetizers served with wine. It also makes a delicious, hearty summer entrée salad, and there’s absolutely no cooking involved.
Combine chickpeas, ham, eggs, green onions, tomato and parsley. Whisk olive oil, vinegar and garlic together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss dressing with the salad. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- 2 16-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces cured ham (preferably Serrano ham or prosciutto), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 hard-cooked eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, about 1 medium clove
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Makes 8 servings.
Related Recipe Categories
Soups and Salads