The term "crabmeat cocktail" usually refers to a simple dish of chilled crabmeat accompanied by the customary ketchup-based cocktail sauce. In this presentation, the term "cocktail" takes on additional meaning by serving the crabmeat in a martini glass and dressing it with a Bloody Mary-like vinaigrette…it’s cocktails all around. Cheers!
Combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette except the vodka, salt and pepper; whisk thoroughly. Add vodka, salt and pepper to taste, and mix thoroughly. Chill until needed.
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay Seasoning®)
- 4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco Sauce®), or to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons premium vodka
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine seafood seasoning and salt; place on a small, flat plate. Moisten the rim of each chilled glass with the lemon wedge; gently press each rim into the seafood seasoning/salt mixture.
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay Seasoning®)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or coarse sea salt, or to taste
- 1 wedge lemon
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump or backfin lump crabmeat
- 2 teaspoons thinly sliced fresh chives
- 4 small celery stalks with leaves, each stalk trimmed to approximately 4-inches long
- Crackers, as an accompaniment
- Four (8-ounce) martini glasses, chilled
Divide the crabmeat evenly between the prepared glasses. Spoon 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette over each portion of crabmeat. Garnish each with a sprinkling of chives and a celery stalk. Serve immediately with crackers.
Tips and Techniques
Recipe adapted from Chef Christopher Prosperi of Metro Bis in Simsbury, Connecticut. For more information on Chef Prosperi and his restaurant, please visit metrobis.com.
Exclusive recipes provided by Viking Cooking School.
Holiday Dinner Party
Related Recipe Categories