Baked Marinated Feta
A block of salty feta and some crusty bread make an easy, impromptu appetizer. But marinate the feta in some good olive oil flavored with crushed red pepper, lemon, garlic and oregano then bake it in the oven and you have something truly delicious.
This Baked Marinated Feta is a wonderful accompaniment to a Greek salad or can serve as an appetizer on its own, served bubbling in a small gratin dish alongside the toasted baguette slices.
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, about 2 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 16 toasted slices of baguette
Place all ingredients except feta in a medium zip-top plastic bag and squeeze to combine. Add feta and marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature. (Can marinate at room temperature for up to 5 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place feta and marinating ingredients into a ceramic gratin dish. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until feta becomes soft and slightly golden brown. Serve with croutons.
Makes 4-6 servings.