Guacamole should be a food group of its own. Creamy avocados, spicy jalapenos and tart lime juice on a salty tortilla chip – there aren’t many combinations as sublime. While I love the plain and simple traditional guacamole, I’ve taken the recipe one step closer to heaven in my recipe for Holy Guacamole.
The recipe diverges from the classic when chopped green onions, garlic, and diced tomatoes are added. The other addition, some shredded Monterey Jack cheese, makes this a heartier spread. Substitute pepper-Jack cheese if you like spicy foods. The cheese is a snap to shred in my Viking Food Processor.
The dip is delicious with tortilla chips, and also makes a nice addition to a taco buffet. It’s also a wonderful topping for hot grilled tuna, salmon or steak.
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 ripe medium California avocados, seeded and peeled
- Juice of 1 lime
In a large mixing bowl, coarsely mash avocados, leaving some chunks. Add remaining ingredients and mix to blend.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.