Olive Oil Brownies
- 3/4 cup (130g) soft wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped with the back of a knife
- 1/2 cup (120ml) olive oil
- 6 tablespoons (50g) cocoa
- 1 cup (100g) pecans, coarsely chopped
- OR 3/4 cup (60g) hazelnuts, finely chopped, toasted
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla on medium speed until the eggs are light yellow and more than doubled in volume.
On low speed mix in the olive oil and the cocoa. Slowly mix in the reserved flour mixture and the nuts.
Prepare an 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan by coating it lightly with olive oil and flour, and if you like, a sheet of parchment paper cut to fit the bottom of the pan.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 325 °F / 170 °C for about 30 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan, cut into squares to serve.
Yields 16 brownies