Chickpea Cucumber Salad
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce cans) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (about 1 1/3 cup) cucumber, peeled, seeded* and chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1½ medium lemons)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine oil and cumin seeds in a small sauce pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until the flavors blend and the seeds release their aroma, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
Combine chickpeas, cucumber, parsley, tomatoes, lemon juice, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl and mix well.Add cumin oil and toss to coat. Season the salad to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at once or store covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Notes: Salad can be made one day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.
*To seed a cucumber: Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise. Use a melon baller or a spoon to scoop out the seeds.
Yield: 6 servings