Spiced Meatballs in Almond Sauce
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 12 ounces ground pork
- 2 slices stale bread, crust removed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Form the meat mixture into 1-inch balls and roll them in flour. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry the meatballs in batches slowly until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Remove and drain.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup almonds, blanched and skinned
- 3 garlic cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice bread, crust removed
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken or meat broth
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped as needed
In a mortar, crush peppercorns, saffron, clove, and salt. In a blender or food processor, grind together fried almonds, bread, fried garlic, and remaining garlic clove with wine to make a smooth paste. Add spices to this mixture.
Stir almond mixture into oil remaining in the skillet and add broth. Bring to a boil, then add the fried meatballs. Simmer meatballs, covered for 20-30 minutes, adding a little additional liquid if needed.
Serve meatballs garnished with the reserved toasted almonds and chopped parsley.
Yield: 10-12 servings
Suggested Wine Pairings: Viognier, Roussanne, Marsanne, Riesling, Chenin Blanc