By Karin Calloway
Karin Calloway is a working mom living in Augusta, Ga., with multiple freelance jobs and a ton of dirty dishes.
Chicken Portobello Wraps
Just as quick as a stir fry and as fun as burritos, this recipe for chicken portobello wraps is an interesting recipe for supper success. Wraps are popular lunch fare in restaurants, and they’re simple to make at home.
The preparation time on this dish is minimal. Purchase stir-fry ready chicken, sliced portobello mushrooms and bagged baby spinach. You can use bagged sundried tomatoes, which you can reconstitute in water in your microwave, or sliced sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil that come in jars. Buying already crumbled feta cheese, which is readily available at most supermarkets, saves you another step. Serve your wraps with a side of chips or deli pasta salad and fruit skewers made from store-cut fresh fruit from the produce department.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound stir-fry ready chicken breasts or 2 boneless, skinless breast halves cut into 2-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 ounces portobello mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch long strips
- 1/2 cup bagged sundried tomatoes* or 1/2 cup sliced oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained
- 5 ounces fresh spinach, washed and drained well
- 4 burrito-sized tortillas, at room temperature
- 4 ounces feta cheese
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add chicken, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until chicken is cooked through. Stir in sundried tomatoes and spinach. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
Place 1/4 of mixture in center of each tortilla. Top each with 1/4 of the feta cheese. Fold in sides of tortillas and roll up burrito-style. Slice in half and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
*If using bagged sundried tomatoes measure 1/2 cup (packed) of tomatoes and slice using a knife or kitchen shears. Place tomatoes in a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl and cover with water. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Drain well.