Lamb Spiedini on Rosemary Skewers
- 1 pound lamb, lean, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, more as needed
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 orange zest, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 12-inch stems rosemary, fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- Salt to taste
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the lamb, olive oil, garlic, orange zest, and orange juice. Strip all but the top 2 inches of needles off the rosemary stems, and reserve the stems. Chop 1 tablespoon of rosemary and add it to the mixing bowl (reserve the rest for another use). Season with about 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and stir well to coat the lamb evenly. Wrap the bowl with plastic and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, and up to 2 hours before grilling.
Prepare the stems by cutting the tips on a 45 degree angle, then place the stems in a bowl of water until ready to use.
Preheat a grill or broiler. Thread the marinated lamb on to the skewers (brush off the sliced garlic). Season with salt and grill or broil the skewers. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, depending on desired doneness, and serve warm with Meyer lemon salsa verde.Yield: 4 servings