- 1 1/2 pound shrimp, 16-20, cleaned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Ouzo
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 each scallions, chopped
- 4 each garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 cup tomato sauce or large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/4 pound Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan and quickly sauté shrimp for about 2-3 minutes, until pink. Deglaze pan with ouzo and cook dry. Remove shrimp from pan with a slotted spoon and distribute among four ovenproof ramekins or small gratin dishes.
Heat remaining oil in the sauté pan and cook scallions over moderate heat until tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, pepper flakes, and oregano, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce or tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper and pour the sauce over the shrimp.
Just before serving, preheat the broiler or heat oven to 450 degrees F. Sprinkle crumbled feta cheese atop the shrimp and broil or bake until cheese melts. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve at once with lots of crusty bread to sop the pan juices.Yield: 4 servings
Suggested Wine Pairings: Zinfandel, Dolcetto, Chianti