Okra Catfish Stew
- 6 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 16-ounce box frozen okra
- 3 dried bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large baking potato, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ tablespoons cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place large stock pot over medium high heat for 1 minute; add oil. Add onion; cook 3 minutes or until translucent.2. Add tomatoes, tomato juice, okra, bay leaves, thyme, oregano and potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes.
3. Sprinkle catfish with seafood seasoning. Add catfish; continue to simmer 6 minutes or until catfish is cooked through.
4. Add sugar, vinegar and hot sauce; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe provided by The Catfish Institute.