White Bean, Arugula and Shrimp Salad
This salad combines creamy cannellini beans with crisp shrimp and peppery Arugula for a warm salad that’s packed with flavor. Serve as a main dish salad or as an accompaniment to an entrée of grilled fish or chicken. The salad is a snap to prepare if you ask your fish monger to steam the shrimp, or if you have leftover grilled shrimp from a weekend cookout.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add beans, season with salt and pepper and heat thoroughly. Turn off heat and fold in the arugula and shrimp. Squeeze a lemon wedge over the top of each serving, if desired.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped pancetta, optional
- 2 teaspoons garlic, about 3 cloves, chopped
- 3 16-ounce cans cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups baby Arugula or baby spinach (about 1 5-ounce bag), washed and dried
- 30 large shrimp, about 1 1/2 pounds, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges, optional
Makes 8-10 servings.