Jerk Shrimp Skewers
Crank up the Bob Marley, fire up the grill and pop open a Red Stripe. These Jerk Shrimp Skewers will send you and your guests on a trip to Jamaica without the airline ticket. They can be served as a delicious hors d’oeuvre, but are equally good served atop the Calypso Chopped Salad recipe on this site.
Combine green onions, garlic, ginger, fresh pepper, allspice, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme, salt, brown sugar, oil and soy sauce in a blender. Pulse until mixture forms a loose paste. Pour into a zip-top plastic bag. Add shrimp and marinate 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- 3 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped, about 2 teaspoons
- 1/2-1 Scotch bonnet pepper or jalapeno pepper, stem and seeds removed, chopped, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves*
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- Metal or Bamboo skewers (soaked in water for 30 minutes)
Heat grill on high heat (or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat). Thread shrimp on skewers alternating with the pineapple chunks. Grill approximately 2 minutes per side, until shrimp is cooked through.
Makes 8-12 appetizer servings.
*Note: 1 1/2 tablespoons dry “Jerk” seasonings can be substituted for the herbs and spices. Check label to see what ingredients are included in the blend, then omit ingredients from the recipe accordingly.