Calypso Chopped Salad with Pineapple-Citrus Dressing
Chopped salads are in vogue at restaurants around the country, and they’re fun to prepare at home. This Calypso Chopped Salad is packed with tropical flavors and is dressed with a creamy Pineapple-Citrus Dressing. The list of ingredients is long, but preparation is a snap. If you’re short on time, substitute some bottled Asian dressing for the homemade and a jar or can of diced tropical fruit for the fresh mango and pineapple.
Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup regular or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
Place all salad ingredients except chopped cashews in a large bowl. Toss with approximately half of the dressing. Serve on chilled salad plates, garnishing each serving with some of the chopped cashews.
- 1/2 head romaine or green leaf lettuce, washed and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 head red leaf lettuce, washed and cut into small pieces
- 1 fresh mango, peeled and cut into small cubes or 1 large can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 pickling cucumber or 1/2 seedless hothouse cucumber, washed and dried, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 can sliced hearts of palm, drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted cashews, chopped, for garnish
Note: For a heartier salad, add one 15-ounce can of rinsed and drained black beans.
Makes 6 servings.