Exotic mushrooms are trendy at the moment – from giant or baby portabellas, to shitake, enoki, cremini, morel, porcini and oyster. But give me a plain old white button mushroom stuffed with a gooey cheese filling over these exotic varieties any day.
My recipe for Stuffed Shrooms is a snap to prepare, and the resulting appetizers are a favorite at any party. They’re also great served alongside a grilled steak. These can be made a day ahead, and it seems that no matter how many I make, they disappear quickly.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and mayonnaise in a medium bowl. Use a small cookie scoop to place the filling in the mushrooms. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with garlic salt before serving.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 24 large white button mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 cups shredded cheese (either a combination of sharp cheddar, Monterrey Jack and mozzarella or sharp cheddar alone)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup regular or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- Garlic salt
Makes 24 appetizers.