French Lentil Soup
Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 4-6 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, yellow, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 leek, white and light green parts, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups French (green) lentils
- 1/4 cup Riesling wine
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, seeded
- 1 spice sachet, including 1/4 tsp. caraway seeds
- Salt to taste
- Pepper, freshly ground to taste
Add the leek, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5-7 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, stir well, and cook until it darkens, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth, lentils, wine, vinegar, lemon, and sachet and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. Remove and discard the sachet and lemon half.
Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Yield: 8 servings