Vietnamese Chicken Salad
This salad is delicious served as part of our Vietnamese Soup and Sandwich Supper, or it can be served alone in the summer as a delicious lunch salad or light supper.
Using pre-shredded cabbage makes the preparation time short. Look for bags of finely shredded cabbage labeled “angel hair” next to the bag of coleslaw blend in your grocer’s produce department. Alternately, very thinly slice half of head of green cabbage for the salad.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, cabbage, mint, green onions and carrots. Whisk the sugar, oil, garlic, rice vinegar, lime juice and chili together in a small bowl. Pour dressing over the salad and toss lightly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast meat
- 1 10-ounce package finely shredded cabbage
- 1 bunch mint leaves, washed and cut into thin slivers
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, about 1 large clove
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small hot red chili or jalapeno, chopped
Makes 8 servings.