Hoisin Peanut Sauce
Sweet, garlicky hoisin teams up with chopped peanuts and bold seasonings in this dipping sauce. This versatile sauce is great with Vietnamese Summer Rolls, and also delicious on grilled fish, chicken, or beef.
In a small, heavy-bottomed sauce pan, combine the hoisin sauce, garlic, water, vinegar, fish sauce, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until mixture has thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes. When sauce has cooled, transfer into small sauce bowls and garnish with chiles, peanuts, and green onions. Serve with Vietnamese Summer Rolls.
- 2/3 cup hoisin sauce (preferably Koon Chun® brand)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (preferably Tra Chang or Squid brand*)
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 fresh Thai chile, stemmed and sliced into rings, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon very thinly sliced green onions, green tops only, for garnish
* Premium brand fish sauces may be found in your local Asian market or in the ethnic section of many grocery stores. If unable to find locally, they may be purchased online at ethnicgrocer.com, templeofthai.com, or thaigrocer.com.