Sunny Couscous Salad
Couscous is a quick cook’s friend. Pour boiling liquid over the top, cover and set aside. That’s all the cooking required. This salad gets its sunny flavor from a double dose of freshly squeezed orange juice. The orange juice and some spices make this a salad recipe you’ll turn to often. It is delicious served alongside the Citrus-Q Salmon recipe on this site, but also makes a nice picnic salad served with hamburgers or grilled chicken at your next cookout.
In a small saucepan, bring the orange juice, water, coriander, cinnamon, a pinch of salt and black pepper to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in couscous and raisins or cranberries. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in the almonds. Fluff with a fork and spoon into a serving bowl.
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup uncooked regular or whole wheat couscous
- 1/4 cup golden raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Whisk the orange juice, lime juice and mustard together in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season with salt and pepper and stir into the couscous. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Sprinkle with the cilantro just before serving.
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Makes 6 servings.