Grilled Asparagus with Ginger Sesame Dipping Sauce
Ginger Sesame Dipping Sauce
Whisk together mayonnaise, miso, lemon juice, onion, sesame oil, and fresh ginger. Place sauce in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to develop.
- 1/4 cup Japanese mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons red miso
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice of about 1/2 medium lemon)
- 1 tablespoon minced white or yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 green onion, green tops only, cut into 1/16-inch thick slices, for garnish (optional)
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Clean grill grates with a stiff brush, then oil liberally to prevent sticking. (Note: To use a grill pan, preheat the pan to medium-high heat; add the oil and heat through.)
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, tough ends removed
- 2 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil (grapeseed or canola), plus extra for oiling grill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- 12 (6-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes to 1 hour
Toss asparagus spears with oil, then season generously with salt and pepper. Lay asparagus spears side by side; skewer through all of the spears on both ends to form a “raft.” Grill until golden brown on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove asparagus from skewers, then sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Attractively arrange on a platter and serve warm, chilled, or at room temperature with Ginger Sesame Dipping Sauce.