Black Bean and Yellow Rice Salads
Black beans and yellow rice are a classic combination, but when the weather heats up the steaming duo is replaced on the menu by cooler sides. But why not enjoy your black beans and rice in the summer as special side dish salads?
Both salads are best when made ahead and are perfect packed along at your next picnic or backyard barbecue. For a beautiful presentation, cool the rice in a tube pan or ring mold and invert onto a serving platter and fill with the black bean salad.
Black Bean Salad
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, taste to adjust seasonings, cover and chill.
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 green onions (scallions), chopped
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Yellow Rice Salad
Place rice, celery, green onion and raisins in a bowl. Toss gently to combine. Combine lime juice, ginger puree, curry powder and mayonnaise in a bowl, taste to adjust seasonings. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the rice mixture and toss gently to combine. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- 1 16-ounce package yellow saffron rice mix, cooked according to package directions and chilled
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 green onions (scallions), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, or more to taste
- 2 cups regular or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- Salt, to taste
Makes 8 to 10 servings.