Heat a medium sauce pan over medium heat; add oil and heat through. Stir in onions, and cook until tender and translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes; add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes, and cook 30 seconds more. Add cranberries, salt and pepper, and cook until cranberries are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add apple, lime juice, lime zest, brown sugar and dry mustard; simmer until mixture is thick and saucy and the cranberries have burst, about 10 minutes more.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 (12-ounce) bag fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 medium red apples, cored, unpeeled, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 tablespoon finely minced lime zest (about 2 limes)
- 2 (packed) cups light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
Taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Cool to room temperature before serving.
Tips and Techniques
Make It Ahead: Prepare the chutney up to 1 week in advance. Cool completely, then store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.
Makes about 3 cups
Exclusive recipes provided by Viking Cooking School.