Tuscan Grilled Vegetables
- 1 medium red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut lengthwise into 6 pieces
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut lengthwise into 6 pieces
- 1 Belgian endive, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1 small (Japanese) eggplant, stem end removed, quartered lengthwise
- 1 small zucchini, stem end removed, quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cleaned, tough ends trimmed
- 1 small ripe red tomato, cored and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1/3 cup rosemary olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- course sea salt or kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh rosemary, for garnish
- 2 ounces shaved Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Brush vegetables lightly with rosemary oil, then season with salt and pepper. Grill until lightly charred on the outside and just tender in the center, between 3 and 6 minutes per side, depending upon the vegetable.
Remove from grill and attractively arrange on a large platter. If the portobellos are large, cut them into fourths or sixths. Just before serving, drizzle balsamic over the vegetables and garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs and shaved Parmesan. Serve warm or room temperature.
Grilling Tip: Place vegetables in a grilling basket to make them easier to turn.
*Note: If the eggplant and zucchini are large, cut them into sixths or eighths; wedges should be approximately 1-inch wide.
Serves 4 to 6