- 1 poblano chile, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 3/4 cup white rice, long-grain
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, ground, to taste
Heat oil in an oven-proof saucepan over medium heat and sauté the shallot until translucent, 5-6 minutes. Add rice and sauté until coated with oil and heated through, about 1 minute. Some of the rice may jump or pop. Add the herb mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring the rice once or twice to prevent it from clumping together or sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Cover pan and place it in the oven. Cook until grains are tender to the bite, 12-14 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes to steam. Uncover and, using a fork, separate the grains and release the steam.
Taste and season with salt and pepper and serve the pilaf at once.
Yield: 4 servings