- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 leeks, white parts only, finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 spice sachet, including 2 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half, chilled
- Salt to taste
- Pepper, ground white, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, thinly sliced
Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add leeks and onions and sauté until tender and translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add broth, potatoes, and sachet. Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are starting to fall apart, about 25 minutes. Remove and discard sachet.
Purée the soup and return it to the pot. Place pot in an ice bath and stir occasionally until cool, 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Transfer to the refrigerator for another 2-3 hours to chill.
Just before serving, stir half-and-half and 1 teaspoon salt into soup. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve in chilled bowls, garnished with the chives.Yield: 8 servings