The Viking Commitment to Our Community
- Viking was the title sponsor of the Viking Classic, a PGA TOUR tournament for 5 years. This tournament raised money for over 90 charities across the state of Mississippi.
- Viking employees lead the charge in fund-raising events such as the American Cancer Society Relay for Life, the local United Way and March of Dimes, and recently donated 186 pints of blood to Mississippi Blood Services.
- Viking is committed to the revitalization of its hometown, Greenwood, Mississippi. In addition to more than one million square feet of Viking manufacturing, office and distribution center space, the company has renovated numerous buildings in downtown Greenwood for retail and housing, many of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Viking was recognized by the Mississippi Heritage Trust in 2002 and 2003 for the revitalization of existing buildings in downtown Greenwood and for saving one of Mississippi’s most endangered historic places, the Hotel Irving, now known as The Alluvian Hotel.
- Greenwood has seen a marked increase in its Tourism Tax revenues since the opening of The Alluvian Hotel in 2003 and The Alluvian Spa in 2005.
- The Alluvian Hotel houses an extensive art collection from Mississippi artists and as a result Viking was recognized with the 2007 Governor’s Award for Excellence in the Arts as Corporate Art Patron.
- In 2004 Viking received the National Trust for Preservation’s Main Street Business Leadership Award for commercial district revitalization.
- Also in 2004, the Mississippi Development Authority awarded Viking the Governor’s Cup for significant impact within a local community.
- Viking founder, Fred Carl, Jr. was appointed to the Governor’s Commission on Recovery, Rebuilding, and Renewal following Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour also appointed Mr. Carl as the Housing Commissioner for Gulf Coast Rebuilding.