History, Milestones, and Awards
History, Milestones and Awards Timeline
1981 Conceptual drawings created of first Viking range
1983 Viking name chosen and logo designed
1984 Viking Range, LLC incorporated
1986 First prototype Viking range produced; received American Gas Association (A.G.A.) approval
1987 Full production of Viking ranges by California contract manufacturer; range hoods added to product line; Viking corporate office moved to present location, 111 Front Street
1988 Production moved to Tennessee contract manufacturer
1989 Production of first Viking-manufactured rangetop in Greenwood, Mississippi facility
1990 All production moved in-house to Greenwood facility
1992 Production moved to new plant at current Cooking Products facility location; the Stephens family of Little Rock, Arkansas, makes major equity investment in company; Viking dishwasher introduced
1993 30" wide / 24" deep ranges added to product line
1994 VGRC convection ranges introduced; Viking manufacturing begins implementation of the Toyota Production System
* 1994 NKBA Kitchen and Bath Hall of Fame, Fred Carl, Jr.
1995 60" wide ranges and rangetops added to product line
* 1995 Fred E. Carl, Jr., finalist, "Entrepreneur of the Year"
1996 Dual fuel ranges, drop-in cooktops and refrigeration added to product line; plant expansion increases size of Cooking Products manufacturing facility by 50%
* 1996 Southern Growth Policies Board; Governor's Cup Award
1997 First international CE approval for export sales received; outdoor gas grills and electric ranges and rangetops added to product line
* 1997 Kitchen and Bath Business, Product Innovator Award; Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture & Design, Good Design Exhibition
1998 Built-in electric 30" wide single/double thermal-convection ovens added; Viking-produced hoods and warming drawers introduced; Graphite Gray added to designer finishes; gas wok added; Ventilation Products facility opened; Viking Training Center opened
* 1998 Home magazine, American Building Products Award; Design Journal ADEX Design Excellence Award; Mississippi Main Street Association award for outstanding design and historic rehabilitation
1999 First professional style 30" wide gas self-clean range introduced; VGIC gas convection ranges introduced; built-in 42" wide rangetops introduced; built-in 27" wide electric single/ double thermal convection ovens, warming drawers and microwave chambers introduced; built-in 36" wide bottom mount refrigerator/freezer introduced; the first Viking Cooking Schools open as Viking Culinary Arts Centers opened in Memphis and Nashville
* 1999 Mississippi Heritage Trust "Award of Excellence" for exemplary rehabilitation of 113-117 Front Street; American Homestyle & Gardening; Reader's Choice Award
2000 Amana 84" wide built-in refrigeration line acquired; The Ramey Agency acquired; Refrigeration Products facility opened; Designer Series introduced; indoor/outdoor beverage dispenser introduced; Biscuit, Stone Gray, Lemonade, Mint Julep, Cobalt Blue and Eggplant added to designer finishes; T-Series grill line introduced; refrigerated beverage dispenser introduced
*2000 Mississippi Heritage Trust "Award of Excellence" for exemplary rehabilitation of 101 and 107 Front Street ; Kitchen and Bath Design News, Industry Leadership Award for the Viking Culinary Arts Centers; Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design, Good Design award for Designer Series electric cooktop, gas cooktop and electric TimePiece™ wall oven
2001 Viking Europe, SAS for European distribution of Viking products created; Lokion Interactive Technologies, a web development company in Memphis, TN, opened; Professional 36" wide gas self-clean range introduced to industry; historic Hotel Irving and adjoining properties in downtown Greenwood acquired; Distribution Center on Hwy. 82 west of Greenwood, adjacent to Viking Ventilation Products facility, opened; 15" wide wine cellars, refrigerated beverage centers and ice machines introduced; cookware and cutlery products introduced to the housewares market; Designer downdraft systems introduced; additional downtown buildings acquired on Main Street and Howard Street; Viking Human Resources Department moves into newly renovated Howard Street building; Viking energy compliant refrigeration introduced
* 2001 Design Journal Awards for Design Excellence (ADEX): Platinum Award for Designer Series warming drawer, Gold Awards for Designer Series built-in TimePiece "electric oven and Designer Series bottom-mount refrigerator, Silver Award for Designer Series electric cooktop; Appliance Manufacturer magazine Excellence in Design winner for Designer Series electric TimePiece™ single oven; Kitchen and Bath Business magazine, Product Innovator Awards runner-up for T-Series grill; Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design, Good Design award for T-Series grill; Leflore County Hall of Fame Award, Fred Carl, Jr.
2002 New Viking 25,000 sq. ft. Viking Training Center opens in the former Myrick Ford building; Cooking Products facility expanded by 80,000 sq. ft.; Designer built-in electric TimePiece™ oven introduced; Designer 15" wide and 24" wide refrigeration units and wine cellars introduced; Designer 15" wide ice machine introduced; four new hood styles added to the Designer Line; outdoor built-in storage drawers introduced; Distribution Center expanded to 41,200 sq.ft.; Professional dual fuel 30" wide sealed burner range introduced; Hotel Irving renamed The Alluvian Hotel; Viking Training Center receives continuing education unit (CEU) accreditation for its training seminars from National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) and other associations; Design Center expanded to 4,800 sq. ft.; Professional 24" wide gas range introduced; custom ventilator systems introduced; Designer trash compactor introduced; Viking begins renovation of Ashcraft Building, 101 Howard Street; built-in 30" wide full height wine cellar introduced; microwave ovens and trim kits introduced; Professional Series 48" wide gas self-clean range introduced
* 2002 Mississippi Heritage Trust Award of Excellence for Outstanding Re-Use of a large property, 101 Main Street - Viking Training Center; Department of Commerce's U.S. Commercial Service Export Achievement Certificate; The Gourmet Retailer - #1 Customer Service Support
2003 Blender introduced to housewares market; full overlay warming drawers introduced; Designer continuous grate gas cooktop introduced; Professional 24" wide wall hood introduced; built-in 42" wide side by side refrigerator/freezers introduced; Viking trademark acquired in Canada; Professional dual fuel 36" wide sealed burner range introduced; Professional gas 30" wide sealed burner range and rangetop introduced; The Alluvian Hotel in downtown Greenwood opened; Professional built-in electric 36" wide single/double ovens introduced; Giardina's restaurant in downtown Greenwood opened; Professional gas 36" wide sealed burner range and rangetop introduced; Professional chimney wall hoods introduced; custom ventilator system for island hoods introduced; built-in 48" wide side by side refrigerator/freezers with ice and water dispensers introduced; Professional gas 24" wide companion ranges introduced; Viking Kitchen Center opened in Destin, FL; stand mixer introduced to the housewares market; Professional gas 24" wide rangetops introduced; Professional gas 48" wide rangetop with 24" wide wok introduced; Viking Cooking School opened inside Viking Training Center in Greenwood; TruSear™ infrared burner option for outdoor grills introduced; C4™ outdoor cooker introduced; outdoor 24" wide and 41" wide refreshment centers introduced; outdoor ventilation introduced; recirculating conversion kits for ventilation introduced; Professional dual fuel 48" wide sealed burner range introduced; built-in 42" wide side by side refrigerator/freezers with ice and water dispensers introduced
* 2003 Viking recognized by Mississippi Heritage Trust for saving one of Mississippi's most endangered historic places, the Hotel Irving, now known as The Alluvian Hotel; Home Magazine Kitchen and Bath Award for Viking Professional dual fuel sealed burner range
2004 Convection microwave oven and built-in trim kits introduced; Viking dealer model showroom opened in Main Street building; outdoor stainless steel cabinetry introduced; tall tank dishwasher introduced; Professional chimney-style island hood introduced; Viking and Culinary Institute of America's World's of Flavor travel program announced; Professional 48" wide sealed burner range and rangetop introduced; Professional NSF-compliant 27" deep ranges introduced 53" wide Outdoor Range™ grill cart with gas oven introduced; full overlay trash compactor introduced; outdoor 15" wide ice machine introduced; Viking partnership with Silversea Cruises announced; Professional wall custom ventilator system introduced; food processor introduced to housewares market; outdoor built-in electric 30" wide smoker oven introduced.
* 2004 National Trust for Historic Preservation's 2004 Main Street Business Leadership Award for commercial district revitalization; Mississippi Development Authority Governor's Cup Award for significant impact within the local community; Architectural Record advertising award for four-page consumer insert; Residential Architect's Award for Architect's Choice; House and Garden's Award for #1 Stove
2005 Professional 24" wide 10" high wall hood introduced; built-in 30" and 36" wide all refrigerator and all freezer introduced; outdoor gas 30" wide Premium grill and cart introduced; outdoor built-in gas 15" wide Tru-Sear™ infrared burner introduced; Professional electric induction 30" and 36" wide cooktops introduced; Professional island custom ventilator systems introduced; redesigned outdoor built-in 24" wide refreshment centers introduced; Professional gas self-clean 36" wide sealed burner range introduced; heavy duty food waste disposers re-introduced; 30" wide convection microwave hoods introduced.
* 2005 Food and Wine award for #1 Home Stove in special chef poll; Viking T-Series voted best large grill by Consumer Reports; Fred Carl, Jr. recognized by Kitchen and Bath Business as one of the "50 Top Innovators in the Kitchen and Bath Industry in the Past 50 Years"; "Home of the Range", a segment about Viking Range, LLC and Fred Carl appears on CBS News Sunday Morning, and receives the Emmy for "Outstanding Interpretation and/or Analysis of a Business News Story - Regularly Scheduled Newscast"; Fred Carl appointed to Governor's Commission on Recovery, Rebuilding and Renewal following Hurricane Katrina
2006 New and improved outdoor stainless steel cabinetry introduced; new 27" and 30" wide premium and ultra-premium built-in electric ovens introduced; 36" wide freestanding "cabinet-depth" refrigerator/freezers introduced; portable induction units introduced; indoor/outdoor 24" wide refrigeration with ice maker introduced; Designer gas and electric 30" and 36" wide rangetops introduced; Professional 48" wide sealed burner gas self-clean range introduced; Outdoor gas 30" wide grill with infrared burner introduced; Outdoor built-in gas 24" wide Tru-Sear™ infrared griller introduced; 24" wide refrigerated drawers introduced; Professional electric induction 30" and 36" wide rangetops introduced.
* 2006 Mississippi Business Journal names Viking one of the "Best Places to Work in Mississippi"; Viking Range, LLC and Fred Carl, Jr. awarded the 2006 American Spirit Award presented by the United States Small Business Administration; Fortune magazine names Viking Range, LLC one of the Ten Breakaway Brands of 2006 in its annual "Breakaway Brands" report; Fred Carl appointed by Governor of Mississippi as the Housing Commissioner for Gulf Coast Rebuilding
2007 Professional high speed convection oven introduced; outdoor gas grills with Tru-Sear™ infrared burner introduced; outdoor built-in gas 24" wide rangetop introduced; Professional and Designer Combi Steam/Convect™ ovens introduced; Professional integrated built-in 48" wide side by side refrigerator/freezers introduced; Professional gas 24" wide sealed burner rangetop introduced; Professional integrated built-in 36" wide and 42" wide side by side refrigerator/freezers introduced; Professional and Designer in-line ventilation blowers introduced; Professional dual fuel 30" wide Custom Series range introduced; Professional integrated built-in 30" wide and 36" wide all refrigerators and all freezers introduced; Metallic Silver, Taupe, Cotton White, Oyster Gray, Golden Mist, Sage, Sea Glass, Iridescent Blue, Pumpkin, Racing Red, Apple Red, Plum and Chocolate added to designer finishes
* 2007 Mississippi Business Journal names Viking one of the "Best Places to Work in Mississippi"; Viking Cooking Team named World Champion at Memphis in May BBQ contest
2008 Professional and Designer undercounter DrawerMicro™ ovens introduced; Professional electric 30" wide Custom Series range introduced; outdoor 24" wide refrigerated drawers introduced; outdoor 24" wide wine cellars introduced; E-Series grill line introduced; Professional gas 30" wide Custom Series range introduced; Professional built-in electric 27" wide and 30" wide Select and Premiere Touch Control single/double ovens introduced; Professional gas self clean 30" wide Custom Series range introduced; Viking produced dishwasher introduced; Designer 36" wide Classic Chimney glass wall hood introduced; Professional dual fuel, gas and gas self-clean 36" wide Custom Series ranges introduced; outdoor Gravity Feed™ charcoal smoker introduced; Professional built-in gas 30" wide single oven introduced; Professional dual fuel, gas and gas self-clean 48" wide Custom Series ranges introduced; Professional electric induction 30" wide Custom Series range introduced
* 2008 Mississippi Business Journal names Viking one of the "Best Places to Work in Mississippi"; Home magazine American Building Products Award; Viking Classic golf tournament honored for "Best Title Sponsor Integration" by PGA TOUR
2009 Quiet Cool™ Refrigeration introduced; Professional and Designer 6" high ventilation introduced; Professional electric Custom Series rangetops introduced; Professional gas Custom Series rangetops introduced; Outdoor gas 41" wide grill with infrared side burner introduced; Professional dual fuel 30" wide Custom Series range with sealed burners introduced; Professional dual fuel 60" wide Custom Series range with sealed burners introduced; hand mixer introduced to housewares market; next generation Designer Series line introduced
* 2009 Mississippi Business Journal names Viking one of the "Best Places to Work in Mississippi"; Chicago Athenaeum and The European Centre for Architecture, Art, Design and Urban Studies GOOD Design award for Professional Custom Series dual fuel range, dual fuel electronic control range and Designer Series kitchen appliance line; SNAP/Architectural Record names Designer 30" wide range a "Top New Product"
2010 Professional and Designer freestanding 36" wide French door bottom mount refrigerator/freezer with ice/water dispenser introduced; Professional gas 30" and 36" wide Custom Series open burner range introduced
* 2010 Mississippi Business Journal names Viking one of the "Best Places to Work in Mississippi"; Builder Magazine "Favorite 50" list for Professional induction range; Bon Appetit "50 Instant Kitchen Upgrades" #1 ranking for Designer Series line; CBSMoneyWatch.com names Viking in its "Made in USA: 10 Great Products Still Made Here" list; Viking Facebook page was finalist in the Shorty Industry Awards for “Best Brand Presence” in social media
2011 Viking Three-Year Signature Warranty introduced; 15"wide trash compactor introduced; 18,500 BTU TruPowerPlus™ burner added to 30" wide Professional Custom ranges; "In the Viking Kitchen" cookbook published; new and improved undercounter refrigeration products introduced; 60" wide VGCC Custom ranges and VGRT Custom rangetops introduced; Custom built-in ovens and warming drawers introduced
* 2011 Viking named "One of Best Places to Work in Mississippi" for sixth consecutive year; Liston Durden is named ApplianceAdvisor.com’s second inductee into Major Appliance Hall of Heroes (posthumously); Good Housekeeping magazine features Viking Professional dual fuel range as its premium pick in Buy-Smart Guide; Fast Company magazine anoints Viking with ICON status as one of "Thirty Companies that Get It" with regards to outstanding design; ABC World News features Viking in its "Made in America" series; Viking social media awarded a Shorty Industry Award recognizing best producer of "Social Commerce" content
2012 Durden Building/Liston P. Durden Training Center dedicated in memory of Liston Durden; Wasabi, Dijon, Cinnamon and Kettle Black introduced as new colors; new and improved 100, 300 and 500 Series grills and carts introduced; Viking Health and Wellness Center opened for employees; Professional series Combi Steam/Convection/Microwave Oven introduced; Viking dishwashers enhanced with new and upgraded features; new refrigeration products introduced; Viking D3 product line launched; Viking acquired by the Middleby Corporation, a long-time leader in commercial kitchen technology; Middleby announces plans to incorporate leading edge commercial technologies into Viking residential products.
* 2012 Mississippi Business Journal names Viking "One of Best Places to Work in Mississippi" for seventh consecutive year; Viking recognized as supplier to Top 50 American Homes, 2012-2013 by Trends magazine; Blair Batson Children’s Hospital awards Viking 2012 Hands of Hope Award in recognition of commitment to Mississippi’s sick and injured children; Viking D3 series named Kitchen and Bath Business Product of the Week; Viking D3 series honored as finalist in Interior Design Best of Year Awards